3 Steps to Academic Integrity
Follow these three steps to help avoid plagiarism in your assignments
Rewrite the idea in your own words. Try to understand it first and write a paraphrase without looking at the original. If you must copy the text, use direct quotes to show it is a direct copy. This use should be limited.
2. In-text reference
Include the author’s family name and year.
- After the paraphrase/ quote: (Hammarley, 2014)
- As part of the sentence: Hammarley (2014) suggests...
3. Reference list
Include all sources used in your assignment.
- In alphabetical order by author’s family name
- Each resource type is written in a different way
- Refer to the Harvard Referencing Guide or the UniSA Roadmap to referencing website: roadmap.unisa.edu.au
For help with these skills and to enroll in the free Tertiary Skills Development course, please contact:
Rebekah Nagel, Student Learning Advisor Email: Rebekah Nagel@unisa.edu.au