Coronavirus & Return of International Students to Adelaide - Updates

South Australian Institute of Business and Technology

New Student Visa Information

Student Visa Information – New Students

As an international student you must hold a valid student visa and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for the duration of your study. Once you have accepted the offer of place, SAIBT will send you a CoE by email. If you have not received your CoE contact When you receive your CoE you will be able to start your student visa application.

A registered education agent can assist you with your visa application, or you can complete a student visa application online through the Department of Home Affairs (HA) ImmiAccount.

On 1 July 2016, Department of Home Affairs (HA) introduced Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) to replace the previous Assessment Level (AL) framework and Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements.

SSVF applies to all students and all programs. Under SSVF, evidentiary requirements will be based on the combined immigration risk of your country of citizenship and the education provider.

All student visa applications must now be lodged online and it is important that the application is complete at the time of lodgement and includes a CoE and a detailed Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement.

You will still need to meet HA’s GTE requirement and HA may request addition information and interview you at their discretion.

More information is available on the Department of Home Affairs.

International student visa conditions

You must have a valid passport and student visa. This will allow you multiple entries into Australia. It is your responsibility to ensure that your passport, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and student visa remain valid and that you abide by the conditions of your student visa.

You must:

  • Attend classes.
  • Complete your program within the duration of your CoE.
  • Not work in Australia before your program commences.
  • Not work for more than 40 hours per fortnight when your program is in session.
  • Provide and update your address in the Personal Details tab in student portal, if you need assistance please contact student services team.
  • Update your address within seven days of any change of residential address. If you are under 18 years old you must also provide and keep up-to-date your parent’s or legal guardian’s contact details.
  • Have current Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire length of your visa (for yourself and all dependants/family members included on your visa).
  • Maintain a current CoE document.

Please note that this is not a complete list. For further details regarding your student visa conditions, please refer to your visa grant letter and/or contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Applying for a student visa in Australia

Depending on the conditions of your current visa, you may be able to apply for a student visa if you are already in Australia.

A registered education agent can assist you with your visa application, or you can complete a student visa application online through the Department of Home Affairs (HA) ImmiAccount.

You will need a CoE and OSHC for the duration of you stay in Australia.

Contact the Department of Home Affairs for more information.

Part-time work

All student visa holders are eligible to work subject to the following conditions:

  • You do not work in Australia before your program commences.
  • You do not work for more than 40 hours per fortnight when your program is in session (during program breaks you may work unlimited hours).

Under-18 students

Visa conditions require that international students under 18 years of age have their accommodation and welfare arrangements approved by SAIBT, unless they are living with an adult family member. Contact accommodation staff on your campus for approval of your accommodation and welfare arrangements.


Your student visa may be cancelled due to non-compliance with your student visa conditions. If your student visa is cancelled, the Department of Home Affairs may impose a three year exclusion period on future visa applications to Australia such as for a tourist visa, or a temporary or permanent residency visa. If you fail to adhere to the conditions of your current student visa you may have difficulty returning to Australia at a later date to complete your study.

The ESOS framework – your student rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia's laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and include the Education for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007. Further information on the ESOS Framework. Please also visit Study Adelaide.