Coronavirus & Return of International Students to Adelaide - Updates

South Australian Institute of Business and Technology

More Student Visa Information

More Student Visa Information

Applying for a student visa

To apply for a student visa you need to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document and submit it with your complete student visa application. If you do not provide a complete visa application including your CoE, a detailed Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement and other required documentation at time of lodgement it may result in your visa application being delayed or refused.

An education agent may help you prepare a student visa application or apply online.

To lodge a complete application for prompt assessment, refer to Department of Home Affairs' visa application steps.

Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF)

On 1 July 2016, the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) introduced Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) to replace the previous Assessment Level (AL) framework and Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements.

SSVF applies to all students and all programs. Under SSVF, evidentiary requirements will be based on the combined immigration risk of your country of citizenship and the education provider.

All student visa applications must now be lodged online and it is important that the application is complete at the time of lodgement and includes a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a detailed GTE statement.

You will still need to meet the GTE requirement and Home Affairs may request addition information and interview you at their discretion.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

You must satisfy the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) that you are a Genuine Student and a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE).

Home Affairs may ask you to provide more information or to attend an interview in order to determine whether you meet the criteria for grant of a visa. However, a decision may be made solely on the information provided in your application. It is therefore important that you lodge a complete application and provide a GTE statement with detailed responses to the following:

  • Your reasons for choosing to undertake the course of study specified in your application
  • Your reasons for choosing your education provider
  • Your reason for choosing to study in Australia rather than in your home country
  • The relevance of your course of study to your academic and/or employment background
  • The relevance of the course to your future career/education plans
  • Your incentives to return home after completion of your studies

It is also important to provide an explanation of any gap between your studies or change to your area of study.

Family (dependents)

If you intend to bring family members with you to Australia, you should first check with your nearest Australian Visa Office whether your visa allows for this. While you are in Australia, you will be responsible for supporting any dependents (i.e. family members).

If you are bringing your children to Australia, you must provide evidence that you are arranging for them to attend school. Tuition fees must be paid for school age dependants who study in Australia.

For more information, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs.

Under 18 years of age – Welfare arrangements

If you are under 18 years of age and you will not be living with a parent, legal guardian or a nominated eligible relative who is over the age of 21 years in Australia, you must get SAIBT's approval for your accommodation and welfare arrangements.

You will need to submit the SAIBT Accommodation and Living Arrangements form and be accepted to live at a residence approved by SAIBT for the period of time you are under 18. You will not be allowed to change your accommodation without prior approval from SAIBT.

You must have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements organised before you lodge a student visa application. Once you have appropriate accommodation or guardianship arranged we can issue a confirmation of appropriate accommodation/welfare letter (CAAW) with your CoE.

If you are under 18 years of age please read and complete the Under 18 – Acceptance and Accommodation Form.

For more information, please refer to the Department of Home Affairs.

Student Visa Conditions

The information contained in this page is to help you understand and comply with your student visa conditions. It is not a complete list and your visa conditions may vary. For a full list of student visa conditions go to the Department of Home Affairs or check your visa grant notification.

What are visa conditions?

Visa conditions are the rules of your visa that are set by the Australian Government. It is important that you understand your visa conditions, as the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) may cancel your visa if you breach them.

Complete your program within the expected duration

It is a condition of your student visa to complete your program within the expected duration. The expected duration is based on a full time study load and is reflected on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document. You will put yourself at risk of not completing your study by the end date on your CoE if you do not study in accordance with your Program Structure or your Study Plan.

Extending your program duration

If you need additional time to complete your program/s you will need to extend your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and apply for a new student visa. Applications to extend a CoE are only approved in very limited circumstances, such as:

  • Medical grounds (evidence required)
  • Failed final course(s) or failed occasional courses throughout the program
  • Granted a reduced study load due to an intervention strategy
  • Approved leave of absence
  • Prerequisite course(s) not available

CoE extension will not be approved if you choose to not enrol in accordance with your Program Structure or your personalised Study Plan.

Maintain enrolment

To satisfy your visa condition of maintaining enrolment you need to enrol in accordance with your Program Structure or your Study Plan. 

If you fail to maintain enrolment SAIBT is required to report you to the Department of Home Affairs which will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and may affect (i.e. cancel) your student visa.

If you are unsure about your enrolment you can contact Student Services or the Academic Director. If you need assistance enrolling you can contact Student Services Team.

The Department of Home Affairs also requires you to maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa, see the Department of Home Affairs.

Meet satisfactory academic progress

To satisfy your student visa conditions you must maintain satisfactory course progress.

SAIBT reviews the academic progress of students and identifies students at risk of making unsatisfactory academic progress.

If you fail to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements SAIBT will be required to report you to the Department of Home Affairs which will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and may affect (i.e. cancel) your student visa.

SAIBT provides study support services to assist you with your studies.

Notify change of address and contact details

To ensure you receive important information from the Department of Home Affairs and to satisfy your student visa conditions, you must notify SAIBT within 7 days:

  • Of your new address when you first arrive in Australia
  • If you change your address at any time during your enrolment
  • Of any new contact details, including phone number, email address and emergency contacts details

If you do not update your address details and there is a problem with your visa, you will not receive communication sent by Department of Home Affairs and your visa may be cancelled.

Login to your student portal or contact if you require assistance.

Changing to another education provider

If your student visa was obtained for study at SAIBT and you wish to study at another education provider, you need to contact and fill out the appropriate form:

  • If you have completed less than six calendar months of studies in your program at SAIBT you need to lodge an Application for Release

If you have a package offer, the six calendar months of study is calculated only on study completed at UniSA. You need to apply for a release from both providers.

If your application for release or withdrawal is approved, SAIBT will inform Department of Home Affairs that you have transferred your studies. If you are transferring to a lower AQF level (i.e. Master to Bachelor) you will generally need to apply for a new student visa, see the Department of Home Affairs.

Working while studying

Student visa holders are able to work 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) while their program is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled breaks.

The opportunity to work part-time allows you to earn spending money and meet more people; however you should not rely on these earnings to pay fees or other living expenses.

Your dependants are allowed to work 40 hours per fortnight once you have commenced your program.

The Department of Home Affairs randomly checks workplaces to make sure that students are not exceeding the permitted hours and employers are legally required to provide information to the Department of Home Affairs.

You need to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) in order to work in Australia.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is health insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia.

The Department of Home Affairs requires student visa holders and their dependants to have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia (visa length health cover). Some exceptions apply, see the Department of Home Affairs.

SAIBT can organise your OSHC on your behalf or you can select and arrange OSHC yourself. If you need to extend your stay you will need additional cover before applying for a new student visa.

You may wish to arrange private health insurance in addition to OSHC as not all health services are covered (i.e. dental or physiotherapy). It is advisable to take out travel insurance to cover such things as accidents, lost luggage or trip cancellation as OSHC does not cover travel to and from Australia. 

Leave of absence

You may experience an event during your studies that prevents you from studying for a period of time. If this occurs it is important that you contact who will provide advice and assistance.

In limited compassionate or compelling circumstances (i.e. serious illness or injury, bereavement of close family members or a traumatic experience), you may be able to suspend your studies (e.g. take a leave of absence) for a period of up to six months.

Withdrawal from program

You can withdraw or cancel your program by providing written notification to SAIBT.

If you are a new commencing student please contact SAIBT Admissions and quote your Applicant ID as well as the reasons for your request. For continuing students, please complete a Withdrawal Form and lodge it with Student Services Team